Shareholder Protection Insurance Cover


BLOG: How to Get Doctor’s Life Insurance

Posted July 21, 2021

Being a doctor can sometimes be a hazardous occupation, with exposure to particular equipment and substances. Getting life insurance for doctors can often depend on what type of doctor you are, whether you are qualified or what you’re exposed to in your day-to-day job. In some cases it can present a niche situation when trying to apply for life insurance, but that’s where the team at Watts can help.

It’s important that you do your research before applying for life insurance, especially if you have a high profile job such as a doctor, nurse or surgeon. Making sure you get the right policy can make a huge difference to you and your loved ones.

Applying for doctor’s life insurance

Typically, you will find there are no issues in getting life cover if you are a doctor. However, there may be some medical professions that could be classed as high risk if you are looking for personal protection like life insurance, but it can depend on your situation and the insurance provider.

With that in mind, applying for doctor’s life insurance can be made a lot easier if you understand a little more about the process. It’s important to consider how much cover you will need, which depends on what you are trying to protect. For instance, many people will take out life insurance so their family can pay off the mortgage. If this is the case, your life insurance should be enough to cover what is left on your mortgage.

Think carefully about how many years you’d like cover for, and what type of doctor’s life insurance is best for your needs. At Watts, we will take the time to understand your individual circumstances and help you find the most suitable policy. What’s more, we have extensive knowledge of the market and aren’t tied to one provider, so we’re in a great position to help you search the whole of the market.

Different types of doctor’s life insurance

There are a number of different policy types that you might want to consider. There is traditional doctor’s life insurance, which will pay out if you pass away during the term, but you can also protect yourself and your family from potential illness or injury too. 

As a medical professional, you are no doubt exposed to patients who have to deal with the financial consequences of taking time off work to recover. You can ensure you are prepared by taking out two different types of cover, including critical illness cover and income protection.

Critical illness cover will only cover a certain list of illnesses but it could be a financial safety net if you had to take time off work. Similarly, income protection can ensure you have substantial income while you’re not in work. It could be a helpful addition to any benefits or sick pay you receive, should those benefits only last for a certain amount of time.

To find out more about getting the right policy for doctor’s life insurance, get in touch today and our team will be happy to help.